- Board of Governors
Online Self-nomination Form
The Board of Governors is the elected board of the Georgetown University Alumni Association that is responsible for governing and managing the affairs and setting the strategic direction of the GUAA. The Board is charged with establishing and reviewing policies and governing procedures regarding all Alumni Association business as well as serving as a channel for alumni engagement and feedback.
Annually, Georgetown alumni have the opportunity to submit a self nomination to be considered for the Board of Governors. Governors serve a three year term and typically, candidates have been exposed to or are active with the Association's regional, athletic, class, or school based alumni activities.
Board Duties and Responsibilities
If you are interested in applying for a position on the board, please carefully review the Board of Governors Statement of Responsibility to confirm you will be able to adhere to the expected responsibilities.
The nominations process for the 2013-2016 slate will open Wednesday, October 10, 2013, at 9 a.m. All self nominations must be submitted online by Monday, December 3, 2012, at 11:59 p.m. (EST).
A complete nomination packet must be uploaded to our website and contains:
- Online nomination form
- Personal statement, to include:
- Why you wish to serve on the Board of Governors
- Your prior activities and support for Georgetown University
- Any other information you think will be valuable to the nominations committee
- At least 2 (two), but no more than 5 (five) letters of support for your nomination. Letters of support should not exceed two pages single spaced.
- Resume, CV, list of references, or articles (OPTIONAL) – Please note optional items should not exceed three pages in length.
Letters of support should be collected and submitted by the nominee themselves and include descriptions of the following as qualifications of the nominee:
- How long, and on what basis, the person writing the letter has known the nominee
- The nominee's previous involvement with Georgetown as a student and as an alumnus or alumna
- Previous volunteer activity by the nominee on behalf of the university to alma mater, the community-at-large, or both
- How the nominee is dedicated to the principles of the university and the Alumni Association
- Why the recommender believes the nominee should be a member of the Board of Governors
- Any other information the recommender believes is indicative of the nominee's commitment to Georgetown and its alumni
Completed nominations are reviewed by the Nominations Committee during a closed meeting over the annual Winter Leadership Weekend (late January/early Feburary).
Immediately following the meeting, committee members reach out to those alumni who have been selected by the nominations committee to stand for election. Pending the positive response of the nominee, the Executive Director publicly releases the slate of Governor nominees who will stand for election to the Board, the general alumni population, and the Office of Advancement.
New governors begin a 3-year term on July 1 of each year and may serve a second, consecutive three-year term with re-election. Please note that we typically have 4-10 open positions and receive over 50 nominations annually.
If you are not chosen for this year's election slate, you will need to submit a new self-nomination packet the following year to be considered again.
The Annual Meeting to announce the 2013 Board of Governors will take place Tuesday, June 25, 2013, at the Wagner Alumni House.
Read more about the Annual Election.
If you should have any questions regarding the nominations process, the Board of Governors, or the Alumni Association, please contact email@example.com or visit our website at http://alumni.georgetown.edu/bog.