What are the Application Requirements?
Each of the application components below MUST be provided in order to qualify for consideration for the Board of Governors:
- Online nomination form
- A one to two page summary of your Georgetown involvement – this is essentially a "Georgetown Resume" that will allow the committee to understand your leadership roles for and participation in specific Georgetown club/class/alumni group events. A sample can be found here.
- A personal statement, to include answers to the following questions:
- Why do you wish to serve on the Board of Governors?
- What are your three most impactful Georgetown volunteer experiences and why?
- At least (2) two, but no more than (3) three letters of support for your nomination; Letters of support should be from members of the Georgetown community.
Letters of support should be collected and submitted by the nominee themselves. These letters should help the committee understand:
- How long and on what basis, the person writing the letter has known the nominee
- Why the recommender believes the nominee should be a Governor, and what impact she/he can have on the Board and broader GUAA
- Any other information the recommender believes is indicative of the nominee's commitment to Georgetown and its alumni?
Note: Letters of support should not be a regurgitation of the applicant's volunteer activities with Georgetown. Those should be included in the Georgetown Resume, described above.
In order access the nomination form, alumni must have a NetID and password. If you need to obtain your NetID, please call UIS Help at 202-687-4949 and they will be happy to assist you.
Nominations packets should not contain any photographs. All documents should not exceed two pages single-spaced.
Self-nomination packets remain valid only for the current application year. If you were not chosen for a previous election slate and still wish to be considered, you will need to submit a new self-nomination packet this year.
What are the Key Deadlines for the Application Process?
The Board of Governors' Nomination Committee accepted Governor applications from October 19, 2016 to December 2, 2016 for a term beginning July 1, 2017.
Completed nominations are will be reviewed by the Nominations Committee in a closed meeting during Winter Leadership Weekend in February 2017. Immediately following the meeting, committee members reach out to those alumni who have been selected to stand for election. Pending the positive response of the nominee, the Executive Director will release the slate of Governor nominees who will stand for election to the general alumni population, and the Office of Advancement.
When are the Formal Elections by the Alumni Population?
Once the slate is announced, all living Georgetown alumni, with a valid email address on-file, receive an email inviting them to vote online or to request a paper ballot in GUAA Elections which run from mid-April through mid-May every year. Those without an email address receive a postcard by mail.
After voting has closed, the results of the Election are ratified at GUAA's Annual Meeting in June. This information is released by email blast and posted to the website, Georgetown Alumni Online, upon certification of the results by the Judge of the Election. Slated Governors are then notified and an orientation process begins which culminates in an in-person orientation during Fall Leadership Weekend, which typically occurs in late-September.
If you have any questions regarding the nominations process, the Board of Governors or GUAA, please contact email@example.com.
What is the overall Nominations Timeline?
October 19 – December 2, 2016: The Board of Governors' Nominations Committee accepts new Governor applications
February 2017: The Board of Governors' Nominations Committee selects the nominees for the 2017 Governor Slate
April – May 2017: Elections are held for the all alumni community to ratify the 2017 Governor Slate
June 2017: GUAA holds its Annual Meeting to verify Election results
July 1, 2017: Elected Governors begin their three-year term